One of the bloggers that I follow wrote an interesting post for today. Her post was also in response to another post she read on BlogHer yesterday about celebrating the differences that make us unique from one another. I thought it would be a good exercise to see if I could come up with a list of 25 things about me that makes me different from the person standing next to me.
- I have a crooked smile. (I think it’s kind of endearing. Maybe?)
- I have a lazy left eyelid – or something like that. It tends to close up just a bit more than my right in pictures sometimes.
- My right front center tooth looks bigger than my left. Ugh, not something easy to celebrate.
- I’m taller than the average gal – 5’10”.
- I love to wear heels even though it makes me even taller.
- I have an intense fear of speaking in public. Actually I don’t like being the center of attention at all, even in small groups, but speaking to a room of people, especially if they are all sitting, and I’m standing (center of attention) terrifies me.
- I’ve been told that I see the world through rose colored glasses. I do tend to always try to look at the brighter side of things, or give people the benefit of the doubt before making judgments.
- Roller coasters terrify me but I love ‘em. I scream so much that when I get off my hands are often tingling with numbness and my legs are spaghetti.
- I’m socially nervous and generally shy until I get to know people.
- Give me a glass of wine and I’ll suddenly start talking.
- I love to read, historical fiction and fantasy are my favorite genres.
- I might be 10 years old at heart – I love animated films, I like to get my shopping cart up to speed in the parking lot, step up on the bottom and ride along, I like to belt out my favorite songs in the car while I’m driving. I couldn’t tell you if I’m any good.
- I can’t stand to take the time to bother with make up or hair styles. So, I don’t wear make up (although I go through phases when I try but it never pans out, mostly because I don’t really know how to do it properly) and my hair is often swept up in a ponytail or pulled back in a clip. I just don’t have the patience. I want to get on to doing things not just getting ready to do things.
- I have a knack for noticing proofreading errors, in books, in menus, in advertising – just little things that were missed. I wish I was doing it for a living.
- I love to take pictures! I always have. I have photo albums full of friends on the playground from as far back as elementary school. I hope to develop this interest into something more in the coming years.
- I don’t have kids and I don’t have any plans to. I’ve never longed for motherhood and I’m much more comfortable with being an aunt than being a mom.
- My husband is my best friend. My whole world. We are Team Walser and we are making our dreams come true one step at a time.
- I’m great with little details, remembering things that need to be done, but my memory of events and past experiences is riddled with holes. Things like that pass right through like a colander. I have to make a concerted effort, when I’m in the moment, to record thoughts or memories about the moment if I want to remember it. Or I can just ask Don later because he remembers everything – right down to the clothes a person wore or what a person said. It boggles my mind.
- I am not a risk taker so I surround myself with people who are (Don, Joanna – my BGFF) and we balance each other out.
- I’m always hearing from people that I have great skin. (I think I get that from my mom. Thanks Mom!)
- Once upon a time I dreamed of working as a trainer at Sea World and performing with the dolphins and killer whales. I still dream of swimming with dolphins in the wild one day.
- I am terrified of spiders! I can’t even look at pictures of spiders without getting the creepy-crawlies for the day. I can take snakes, rats, cockroaches – things that make many other women shudder in their boots. But not spiders.
- I LOVE cake. I cannot even describe with words how much cake excites me. Cake is my divine pleasure. I don’t have it often but when I do, oh, baby. Give me white cake, marble cake, yellow cake, carrot cake, spice cake, anything but plain old chocolate cake.
- Oh, did I mention I don’t like chocolate much? I know. Am I even from this planet? 🙂
- Friends is my favorite TV show of all time and if you had to peg me as one of the characters I would be Monica. From The One With All The Resolutions… (this is sooo me)
Monica: My resolution is to be less obsessed with being neat and clean.
Rachel: Really? Hmm. (grabs some crackers and crumbles them into little pieces and drops them on the floor.)
Phew! That was actually kind of challenging. I’m not even sure some of these things really make me all that different from other people (well, the chocolate thing sure does) but I guess when you roll it all up in a package, it does make for a unique individual. Hopefully someone worth knowing.
What’s your list? Come on, celebrate yourself. You might learn something new about yourself (or I might.) Email me or use my contact page if you don’t want to post it in comments.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.
~ Dr. Seuss