Don made the most amazing chili the other day. So amazing that I ate a bowl. Went back for another half bowl. Then had a few bites right out of the crock pot when I put my bowl in the sink. Then a few more bites later in the night when I was putting the leftovers in the fridge. It was that good folks. 🙂
I missed out on the preparation but picked his brain for the recipe. It’s not entirely paleo/primal so if you’re a strict follower, substitute where necessary.
Easy Crock Pot Chili with Venison and Pork (or your meat of choice)
- 1 lb ground venison
- 2 lb ground wild hog
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 sweet onion
- 3 cans of ranch style beans
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp chili garlic paste
- 2 heaping tbsp of your favorite salsa
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup cold coffee
- zest and juice of one lemon
- salt and pepper, as desired
- Grind the meats together thoroughly with a meat grinder.
- Brown the meat on the stove, remove to crock pot.
- While the meat is browning, mix together the chili garlic paste, salsa, beef broth, and bbq sauce. Use mixture to deglaze the pan after removing the meat. Simmer for about 2 minutes then add to crock pot.
- Add coffee, chili powder, onion, bell pepper, corn meal, and ranch beans to crock pot. Mix well.
- Zest the lemon into the crock pot and cut in half and squeeze out all juice into crock pot. Mix well.
- Add some salt and pepper, as desired.
- Let cook on high for 3-5 hours, or low for longer.
- Try not to eat it all in one sitting. 🙂
Next to jazz music, there is nothing that lifts the spirit and strengthens the soul more than a good bowl of chili.
~ Harry James