At last, here’s Part III of our Chimichurri Chicken, eggplant, and butternut mash dinner.
It is divine.
Since this is Don’s brain-child, it of course comes with no measurements. Besides, every butternut squash is different in size so you just have to go with your gut and flavor to taste with the following.
- cayenne (you can skip it if you don’t want a little kick)
- cinnamon – the secret ingredient (ssh, don’t tell anyone)
Who would ever think of putting cinnamon in a mash? That’s how out of the box Don can be sometimes and by gosh he’s got good ideas. This stuff is heavenly.
And no, your eyes don’t deceive you. We did not use any butter. I was shocked! It totally doesn’t need it. Trust me.
In case you haven’t made mashed butternut before, it’s easy.
- Peel your squash.
- Cut it in half, core out the seeds, and slice into chunks. (See this post for a visual.)
- Place in pan, cover about halfway with water and boil (covered) until soft enough to mash.
- Add delicious flavors. (Another option here. Also very yummy.)
Try not to eat it all in one sitting! 🙂
Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving.
~ Rosalind Russell