That has been a question in our house for some months. Our blender makes very yummy green smoothies we enjoy for breakfast regularly.
Nut Butter Banana Smoothie
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 tbsp nut butter (peanut, almond, sunflower…)
- a giant handful of spinach (maybe 4 cups worth?)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
*Makes enough for 2 people
But we haven’t ventured very far into the realm of smoothie and juice drinks yet. We want to but we just aren’t quite there yet. In an effort to step up our juicing game, I did try two new green smoothie recipes this past week. One was pretty good…Creamy Green Apple Smoothie courtesy of Juli at paleOMG. It was lighter and crisper than our usual mix above.
The second attempt at a new combination bombed horribly.
- 1.5 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 3 cups spinach (slightly smaller handful; I really don’t measure the spinach)
- 1 cup of coconut water
This would not convince anyone that green smoothies are yummy despite their green coloring. I do not suggest you try it. We almost threw it out but then decided to choke it down rather than waste the food. The cocoa powder just made it too bitter.
So after much continued debate, we decided to take the plunge and buy a masticating juicer to enhance our blending and juicing power. (There are like 3 or 4 different types of juicers, not to mention a bazillion brands to choose from!)
After many youtube reviews, we decided on the Omega VRT350. Not the most expensive option out there but not inexpensive by any means either. We better LOVE it. (I think we already do.)
It arrived last night. We ran some oranges and apples through it right away, just to play with our new toy.
I am so impressed with how quiet it is. It makes about 1/10 of the noise that the blender makes. The blender sounds like a jet engine taking off and lasting for a good 5 minutes. Often at 6 am. I have a feeling our neighbors will unknowingly appreciate the juicer.
A few other quick observations so far…
- it has a small footprint (which is awesome)
- it’s heavy
- and it’s relatively easy to clean (hopefully even easier once I become more familiar with it.)
I hope to write some follow up posts to highlight our juicing and blending exploits down the road.
Oh, and lastly, the juice above was not anything fancy but it was amazing.
All great changes are preceded by chaos.
~ Deepak Chopra
- Juice Vs Smoothie (mynutritionalbliss.com)
- Green Smoothies – Spinach, Pineapple and Orange Juice (bestfruitsmoothies.com)
- Creating a Juicing Center (lfrancois.wordpress.com)
- How to Make the Perfect Green Smoothie and Why You Should Make Them Part of your Daily Routine… (yourbreak-through.com)