These snacks bars from The Paleo Mom are the bomb. I can’t remember if this recipe for Almond Coconut Bars popped up on my facebook newsfeed somewhere or if I was already following the blog. Regardless, I saw it, and I instantly thought = sweet treat for Don. Surprisingly, they don’t taste like a dessert item like I thought they might. They strike me more like a granola bar. And a small piece goes a long way. I’ve been enjoying them as mid-day snacks for days now. I made two slight changes to accommodate my supplies on hand – sunflower butter in the place of almond butter and maple syrup instead of molasses.
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower butter
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 oz 85% dark chocolate
- Melt coconut oil over low heat in a small saucepan.
- Line a square dish with parchment or wax paper.
- Pulse almonds in food processor to a medium-fine texture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate to the food processor and pulse. Mix a bit by hand to ensure full incorporation.
- Pour into dish and smooth out to edges to fill the dish. Refrigerate until set – at least 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate over low heat in a double boiler. Pour over base and spread until evenly coated. Place back into refrigerator for approximately 5 minutes (I completely SPACED this step!) until chocolate is solid but still a little soft – for ease of cutting. (Yep. You definitely should heed that part.)
- Cut into bars and store in a plastic container, in the fridge if you want them to be firm. I kept mine on the counter. My fridge was too cold and they were too hard for my taste.
Here’s a look at the method to my madness. 🙂
People who love to eat are always the best people.
~ Julia Child
- Homemade Granola Bars (mrshornerskitchen.com)
- Coconut, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Bars! (lisasfood.wordpress.com)
- sweet granola (emptywalletscene.wordpress.com)
- Super Yummy, All Natural Granola Bars (newlydomesticblog.com)