PaleOMG is a great resource for recipes that I’ve been following for probably two years. This recipe comes straight from PaleOMG’s Watermelon and Cucumber Mint Salad. Thanks Juli for still sharing recipes online even after you’ve got a kick-ass cookbook on the market too! (I’m so NOT a cookbook person. Even recipes I print out and file in my make-shift cooking collection don’t get looked at again very often. So much easier to just look things up online.)
I made a boatload more than Juli’s recipe because I decided to bring it to a party. And I have no idea what measurements I ended up with. Half a giant watermelon, 2 or more cucumbers, some red onion. You get the idea. So I’ve included Juli’s recipe verbatim below for anyone interested in giving this a try.
- 2 cup watermelon, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 4-5 tablespoons mint, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
The salad kept pretty well for about a week. It was best fresh though and I would advise only making enough to eat. I made so much, overestimating how many people I would be serving, so most of what you see here came back to us to be enjoyed as breakfast, snack, and side dishes for the following week.
To see cucumbers in a dream denotes that you will speedily fall in love. Or, if you are in love, then you will marry the object of your affection.”
~ Richard Folkard in ‘Plant Lore’ (1884)
- Summer Time Watermelon, Orange Salad (shesseasonallyinspired.wordpress.com)
- Mango and Mint Tea Watermelon Slushie *Sugar Free* (instructables.com)
- watermelon and cucumber salad (thespicystiletto.com)
- Mint and Watermelon Salsa (thepescetarianandthepig.com)