Don had broccoli cheese soup on the brain last week. After a review of our pantry, this was what he came up with. De-lish.
makes 6 servings
- bunch of broccoli (2 large heads)
- 1 whole sweet onion
- 2-3 stalks of celery
- 2 12-oz packages of organic cream of mushroom soup (this stuff is CRAZY good!)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic (we used our homemade chili garlic paste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of coconut milk
The preparation process is relatively simple.
- Chop the onion, celery, and broccoli roughly and then use a food processor to reduce it to a rice-like consistency.
- Dice the chicken into small pieces and brown slightly in a skillet over medium-high heat with a little olive oil or coconut oil.
- Combine everything, except the coconut milk, in a crock pot. Add chicken once it’s cooked through.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours.
- Add coconut milk. Stir to combine well.
- Continue to cook on high for another 30-60 minutes to warm and incorporate all flavors. Serve or save for quick meals during the week.
We actually did make this over the weekend for ready-to-go weekday meals so we didn’t try it for a couple of days. Which is why I don’t have any photos of a bowl of soup to show off the finished look. I’m a bonehead and never remember to take a picture during lunch so you’ll just have to use your imagination.
Our intention was to top it with shredded cheese that we could mix in and it would be more like a cheesy broccoli soup, but so far, I have had it sans cheese and it’s just fine without. I am certain we will make this again. I would like to experiment next time with adding arrowroot powder or tapioca flour to thicken the soup so it’s more creamy, just for a change of pace.
Oh, and a side note to mention that I was SUPER excited last week to find an organic cream of mushroom soup that isn’t laden with processed chemicals and flavors! Check out Pacific brand organic soups and broths if you are interested in organic products. It looks like they are available in a number of stores – Safeway, Kroger, Whole Foods, and Amazon, to name a few. Yay!
- Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup (healthfulpursuit.com)
- Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup (nomnompaleo.com)
- Roasted Broccoli Cheddar Soup (kaufycup.wordpress.com)
- First recipe!!!!!!!! Paleo Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup (skinnyandscholarly.com)
- Mushroom Soup (mylittleglutenfreegirl.com)