I came up with this one myself! Well, sort of.
I have to first explain that taco salads tend to be my go-to meal when I am home alone. For one, it’s quick and easy to make and also, I don’t usually have much, if anything, defrosted and ready to be cooked after a long work day. One pound of ground meat is generally easier to defrost quickly so I can get on with the cooking part.
Don told me that one day that he was home alone, he made a salad with canned chicken, a sort of chicken salad. I know. NOT a new idea. But I generally eat chicken salad as a mixture on a sandwich, on crackers, or by itself. So it was kind of a novel idea to me simply because I’d never made it as a salad.
So. That’s where my inspiration came from. The execution came on an evening that I was home alone, short on patience, lacking any desire to cook, and HUNGRY. This turned out to be the perfect solution. Simple. Easy. Tasty. Filling.
- salad (romaine and spinach leaves chopped)
- 1 10-ounce can of chicken
- handful of pecans
- about 1-2 tbsps miracle whip (NOT my first choice of product but it was my exception for the day)
- salt and pepper to taste
- pomegranate to garnish (I had previously seeded one and had seeds ready to go. I highly suggest this tactic. Great video here shows you how.)
Basically, I chopped up my greens. Drained the can of chicken. Mixed it up with a little miracle whip so it wasn’t dry. Added a bit of salt and pepper for flavor. Roughly chopped the pecans and added them to the chicken mix. Then topped my greens with the chicken mix. Topped the chicken with a few more pecans and then added the pomegranate seeds.
One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats.
~ Iris Murdoch
- Paleo Chicken Apple Cranberry Pecan Salad (paleonewbie.com)
- Paleo Chicken Salad (paleocupboard.com)
- Quick autumnl salad (bakersdiet.wordpress.com)
- Pomegranate Lemon Chicken and Zucchini Salad (thescentoforanges.wordpress.com)