I made cauliflower and artichoke soups two ways recently and they were both good. But this past week I think I made the best soup I’ve EVER made.
My plan was to make the roasted cauliflower and artichoke soup again, like I had before. But after I had the cauliflower in the oven and was pulling out the rest of my ingredients, I discovered I didn’t have any artichoke. Doh! So I improvised.
Ingredients makes about 3 servings
- about half a head of cauliflower
- 1 box of Pacific Natural organic cream of mushroom soup
- 1 whole onion
- 4 small hot peppers from our garden
- 1 10-ounce can of chicken
- 1 and 1/2 cups of water
- 2 tsp garlic chili paste (homemade)
I sautéed the onion, peppers, and garlic paste on the stove over medium heat until the onions were translucent.
Once the cauliflower was roasted to my liking (30-40 minutes at 400) I placed all the onions and cauliflower into my food processor. I added the box of mushroom soup and about a cup of water. I blended it until it was close to smooth, adding more water incrementally. I could not get a truly smooth consistency in the processor so I moved the mix to a saucepan and used my KitchenAid stick blender to further puree it all until it was creamy the way I wanted. Then I added the can of chicken and mixed by hand to incorporate it.
Between the peppers and the spice in the garlic paste, I didn’t even need to add salt or pepper. It was hard not to eat any then but I made it in the morning for the coming week so once combined I portioned it out and moved it to the fridge. I ate it for lunch at work the next day (pictured above.) Blew me away it was so good. WAY better than the first two editions. Definitely a great way to use up any cauliflower in your fridge that is close to the end of its shelf life. I highly recommend combining cauliflower, onion, mushroom, and chicken flavors. 🙂
The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.
~ Ann Wigmore
- Roasted Cauliflower & Goat Cheese Soup (bewhatwelove.wordpress.com)
- Soup of the week: Creamy cauliflower soup (simplycalledfood.com)
- Cheesy Cauliflower Dip (decadencedonelite.com)
- Sunday Supper: Smoky Cauliflower Soup With Wild Mushrooms and Ham Crisps (seriouseats.com)