Don threw this together on a whim one day and it instantly became a new household favorite. The photos below were actually hastily taken the second time we made the dish. We are calling it Sausage and Black Bean Soup but there are other beans in it as well. You could adapt this to incorporate different types of sausage and different types of beans to your liking.
We try to minimize our use of beans in dishes because but they do add carbs and not a lot else. This is just one of those dishes that we make the exception for and, knowing we’re eating a higher carb load in this meal, we make adjustments to our other meals in the day to offset the overall daily carb intake. Or we try to anyway. Nobody’s perfect. LOL
Sausage and Black Bean Soup
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cans of other beans
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 jalapeno (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic (or a tbsp of minced garlic)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- Slice sausage into bite-sized pieces. (We slice the sausage in half then cut into half moons.)
- Dice onion and jalapeno.
- Use stick blender or food processor to mash/reduce the black beans.
- Combine all in crock pot.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or until onions are cooked to your liking. (You can also speed it up if you’re cooking on the stove and monitoring the temperature. We’ve made it in less than an hour on the stove. The crock pot is just handy for walking away and not worrying about it.)
It’s just us trying to start a movement where everybody passes on a bit of cooking knowledge. We estimate that one person can potentially affect 180 others very quickly so we’re just trying to spread the word.
~ Jamie Oliver