I don’t know why we never did this before. Such a simple and yet ingenious idea. Make your OWN burger patties and freeze them for quick, easy dinners. (Instead of buying what someone else made for you and is loaded with preservatives and other additives.)
You can modify this any number of ways to make the preparation as easy and quick as you need; ours was a little more time-consuming because we used venison that we had to grind first but if you don’t want to take the extra time for that sort of thing (or don’t have an appliance that will grind your meat) you can just buy ground beef and add spices and flavors to your liking. Here’s how we made ours.
Servings: 12 half-pound patties
- 2 lbs venison
- 5 ounces of salt pork
- 1 jalapeno
- red onion
- bell pepper
- green onion
- minced garlic
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp tapioca flour
- small handful of bacon bits
Sorry that I don’t have exact measurements on most items. This was Don’s brainchild and as many of you know, he’s not the measuring type.
- We ground the venison and salt pork and mixed them well until they were fully incorporated. (It is important to add fat when using venison or even very lean beef because it helps hold the patty together and it adds flavor as well.)
- We diced and chopped all the other ingredients and mixed it all together in a large mixing bowl.
- Using our handy-dandy kitchen scale we experimented with kitchen tools until we found a measuring cup that we could use to accurately measure out 1/2 pound servings that we then shaped into patties.
- Using parchment paper as a separator, we stacked them on a cookie sheet and placed them in the freezer until they were firm but not frozen and then we packaged them two at a time in food saver bags for quick, easy use.
We have made two dinners since we made the patties about a month ago and they are everything we hoped for. Quick, easy, and delicious.
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
- Brie, Bacon, and Red Onion Burgers (butimhungry.com)
- Venison Patty (backtothespicerack.wordpress.com)
- Oven-Baked Burgers (mustloverealfood.com)
- Build Your Own (Cheap) Burger (collegegalonabudget.wordpress.com)