I had such a response last night when I shared this on facebook that I decided I might as well write something up here too. Besides, I’ve been radio silent for a stretch because life has turned into a hectic MESS lately and this gives me something to post quick and easy. Hopefully it doesn’t wear on my fb friends to see this again so soon. 😛
These down and dirty chicken taquitos were Don’s brainchild and really very simple if you have a fryer. We used canned chicken (whole chicken cooked and shredded would be EVEN better but when you need quick, canned gets the job done), black beans, our homemade pico, and a little finely shredded cheese that we mixed together in a bowl. We spooned maybe a little more than a tablespoon in a white corn tortilla that we rolled up and fried. It’s pretty simple and straightforward.
A couple of tips:
- We warmed the tortillas in the microwave first by alternating a damp paper towel between each tortilla, only stacking 3-4 at a time, and heating them for 30 seconds. This makes them soft and easy to work with.
- When rolling them up, you have to roll them tight. I can’t really tell you HOW exactly to accomplish a perfect roll because the ones I rolled, opened up and the goods exploded out the ends. I was demoted from rolling. Don didn’t have a problem. I swear mine looked the same! But somehow he rolled them tighter, without ripping them, so that they stay closed in the fryer. Whatever taquito rolling kung fu master.
- Another trick for keeping them closed in the fryer was to fill the fryer basket full, which for us was three. They were kind of sandwiched together which helped keep them closed as well.
We didn’t time the length of frying. We just watched them and took them out when they were golden. My guess is it might be have been 3-5 minutes each. We served them with a dip made of sour cream and hot sauce mixed together.
I like the challenge of trying different things and wondering whether it’s going to work or whether I’m going to fall flat on my face.
~ Johnny Depp
- Lime Chicken Taquitos (myyellowbrickedroad.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Taquitos with Bacon and Avocado (bitinglife.wordpress.com)
- Creamy Chicken Taquitos (mrsstarks.wordpress.com)
- Cheesy Chicken and Bean Taquitos, with Cilantro and Pesto (barenaturalmommy.wordpress.com)