This is me lately…
I am prone to a bit of overthinking on any given day but lately, it’s escalated to a ridiculous degree.
With our upcoming move in late May/early June, we have a swarm of details to coordinate. I say ‘we’ lightly. I do a lot of the coordinating. Don does the heavy lifting when it comes to physically moving things, loading the truck, doing the driving, etc. Oh, yeah, we are planning to do it all ourselves. All 2,678 miles, give or take some miles depending on route.
In addition to the move, we are attempting to buy our first house. 2,678 miles away from our current location. We have a trip planned to visit and tour houses in person soon, hoping beyond hope that we will find ‘the one’ and be able to make an offer that is accepted, and that we’ll close in time with our physical trip with the moving truck approximately 45 days later. Talk about hoping the stars align and miracles happen.
We’ve also recently decided to bring the cats with us when we fly up to look at houses. This should help alleviate a lot of headache while packing, loading, and driving later. No having to find pet friendly hotels along the way, no worries about cats breaking out of vehicles or strange hotel rooms in strange places, or busting out on us while packing up and cleaning the old apartment. But it’s adding a lot of other worries and details to flying the cats – which we’ve never done before. New territory all around! Yippee. (Please let it go smoothly, please let it go smoothly.)
So, amongst all these fast approaching activities, my thoughts look something like this:
- Will we have issues with airport security? Will they make us take the cats out of the carriers?
- Remember to make a list of all the things to bring (and buy) to help ease the stress: a piece of well-worn clothing that smells like us, some toys, their (small) beds, Rescue Remedy, Comfort Zone pheromone spray, extra sedatives, wee wee pads for accidents…is this all going to fit in our suitcases/carry-ons/in the carrier?!! (And list done. Check.)
- What if we find a house and the financing doesn’t work out? I’m super nervous about the loan panning out.
- How are we going to eat all the food (frozen meat = DEER) in the freezer before we move? I suppose we’ll give away what we don’t… Mental note: don’t buy new meat. Eat what we have!
- Make another appointment to get the cats checked for their health certificates shortly before the trip.
- Remember to get a VA certification letter. Figure out how to get a VA certification letter.
- Remember to be checking job listings! (Anyone need someone with fantastic, and varied, administrative, financial, and editorial skills in Kitsap County, Washington? Check me out on LinkedIn. Seriously, if anyone knows of any opportunities they could refer to me, I’d be ever so grateful.)
- Should I be packing tonight? What else can I pack this early? What else do we not need or use regularly? What can I pack and not make our home seem completely dull and minimalist? Does that even matter? LOL More boxes packed now means less later.
- What should I be doing?! Am I wasting time today being unproductive?
- What about all the things that need to get accomplished at work? Will I be able to finish it all? Will I be leaving them in a bind on anything? How will I fit it all in??!!
- I am going to miss so many people…how do I spend meaningful time with them with such little time left?
- We still need to pick a rental truck company…an auto shipping company…
- How do I keep up the blog? Do I even try or just take a break?
- Stop fretting about things you can’t control!!! Just make lists and take things one at a time.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.
~ Anatole France
- Top Ten PCS Don’ts (spousebuzz.com)
- How to MOVE IT without LOSING IT!: Helpful Tips for your PCS Move (blog.calldibsapp.com)
- Young, Married and Moving: The Inside Scoop on Relocating as a Couple in the Coast Guard (mymove.com)
- 5 DITY Tips to Make Moving Easier (blog.sargeslist.com)