Don decided on a whim recently that he wanted to add a sweet potato to our mashed butternut to see how it tasted. As usual, his ideas always come out amazing.
So, the next time he decided to add a little bacon, and a few other things, and hello delicious! We discovered a new household favorite – faux loaded mashed potatoes.
Not a lot of fancy pictures for this one. (Life is too darn hectic right now! I barely had time to throw this together. lol)
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 sweet potato
- few strips of bacon
- green onions/chives
- sour cream
How to do it:
- Peel the butternut. Core out the seeds. Cut into chunks. (See previous post.)
- Peel and cut the sweet potato.
- Place both in pan with water to about half way covering the squash and potato.
- Boil until soft, just like you do with potatoes. (Usually 15-20 minutes.)
- Cook bacon and set aside. Chop into bits when cool.
- Dice green onion.
- Drain squash and potato when soft.
- Add bacon, green onion, butter, and sour cream. Use a stick blender or hand mixer to mash/blend it all together.
- Add salt and pepper as desired.
Go with your instincts on quantities. You’ll need more or less of everything depending on the size of your butternut squash and sweet potato. Just start out with a little and add more if you think it needs more butter or sour cream. 😉
It’s really easy, peasy, and crazy delicious. Your welcome. 😛
You don’t need a silver fork to eat good food.
~ Paul Prudhomme
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes Done Right (thepaleopastor.wordpress.com)
- Butternut Squash Stuffed Zucchini (wwjme.com)
- Sweet potato & butternut cottage pie (carbcountingkids.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Butternut Squash + Sweet Potato Soup (loveandlentils.com)